Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Girls out in the snow

I felt bad that Bre and Ashley didn't get to see much snow so I took them down the same road Nicole and I went down this morning. We had a fun trip but most of the snow was already melted. We occasionally would find a pocket under a ledge or thick bush but, not much.
Looking north from one of the mesa's at the bottom of Mount Graham to Thatcher.
Look how much snow already melted, this area was all covered this morning.
One of the ponds is visible below, this is not the one we visit that much. The water tank is also partly visible.
I had to drive up some pretty steep and slippery hills to get on the top of the mesa and the girls were sort of freaking out. Brian is usually the driver whenever we go four-wheeling and so I think they were scared I didn't know how.
The first hill was the worst because it was high, steep, muddy and covered with small loose boulders that made it hard for the wheels to grab on and also made it bumpier. I would have liked to had a camera to record the girls reactions, they kept asking if we were going to be OK.
I stopped on the top of the mesa and let the girls run around outside. That didn't last long because the wind was straight out of Canada.
It was a good experience for all the girls to be out four-wheeling without a boy. I taught them how to put the suburban in four wheel drive and why. I showed them how the car did most of the work going up and down the hills by not pushing the gas or break much. I also taught them about shifting down into a lower gear when going down hills so they don't need to use their brakes much. They were really listening and watching what I was doing.
I hope my daughters remember they can do it just as good as a boy can and not be a helpless girl. I hope they learn that from their Mom; when they see me taking care of my car, doing yard work, remodeling the house and building the shed. I may not have the physical muscles to do as much as Brian does but that doesn't stop me from getting in there and helping and knowing how.

No comments: