Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Grubs


Have you ever seen any bug this big and nasty? I never have. I found out it's a regular grub. I have seen grubs in the yard before, but never anything near this size. Nicole took one to show and tell and her teacher had never seen a grub this big before either. All her little classmates thought it was neat. Nicole is actually keeping one of the grubs as her pet in a plastic shoe box with a bunch of pulled up grass.
Actually the pictures don't do justice to how nasty this guy is. He is slimy all over and little tiny hairs come out around the top half of him, and his back half is full of black stuff.
Brian and I found three of these ugly things under a board that was serving as the front porch for the play house. That same day we found 18 in a bag of compost we used to sprinkle over winter grass seeds. I was shoveling the compost out over the yard and had done a few rows when I finally noticed that I had dropped these big grubs everywhere I went. Brian collected them on the road and that's the bottom picture. Next year for sure I am doing grub poison, if there is this many on the surface of the yard you can only imagine how many are not seen. YUCK!

No comments: