Thursday, January 14, 2010

Painting the island

I finally got around to painting the island this weekend. I have been wanting to since I moved in, 19 months ago. I finally did it because I bought a hook to hold my purse and I knew if I screwed the hook on it would just be that harder to motivate me to finish this project. So the island is painted and the purse hook is installed. This will be so nice because usually I come in and just drop my purse on the ground in front of the bookcase. This house doesn't have many surfaces for putting decorations on let alone big purses.
Here is the front of the bookcase taped ready for paint.
Here is the bookcase with the first coat painted. I have started painting the top cupboard but you can still see the color.

finished side with purse hook installed. This little bookcase holds a few of the DVD's that are frequently viewed. These are in cases so we can take them with us on trips. The rest of the DVD's are in the 300 count DVD player, that saves a bunch of room in this little house.

Here is the (almost) finished project. I still need to install some decorative molding at the top of the cupboards, this local small town Home Depot doesn't have much selection. The vinyl lettering has been on my taupe walls behind the TV, not very noticeable. I moved it here and hope the gold letters stand out better.
I love how this turned out. When I get new countertops and molding it will look even better.

No comments: