Friday, January 16, 2009

Wedding Cake

Here is a wedding cake I made for a Friend's wedding. I made all the roses from white frosting and then spray painted them with purple food coloring followed by a brushing of fine sparkles. You can't see the sparkles really well in a stationary photo but on the cake they were really nice.

I am really proud of myself for pulling this off. I made the flowers a few days in advance so they would have time to harden up and dry.
The day before the wedding I started baking the four layers at 6pm and had the cake cooled, frosted and delivered to the reception hall by 10pm.
We had to deliver the cake the night before because the next day was my 12th wedding anniversary and Brian and I had all day plans.

My only regret is that I didn't have more time to chill the frosting after I put it on. If I could have chilled the frosting it gets somewhat hard and then you can come back in at the end with a heated frosting spatula and basically melt a smooth surface. Because the frosting was room temperature it was easy to spread and get the right thickness but I couldn't make the smooth surface like I wanted. I had to just let it be and not worry about it to much.

No comments: